(Pictured above – Black Mountain)
Lots of newly announced shows:
- Radiohead’s Thom Yorke dropped a surprise tour announcement earlier this week including a stop at Express Live on September 30. Billed as the Tomorrow’s Modern Boxes tour, Yorke and collaborators Nigel Godrich and Tarik Barri will likely play new music from Yorke’s forthcoming solo album (haven’t seen a release date for it yet). Tickets are $49.50 and go on sale on June 21.
- Fresh off the presses – Switchfoot plays The Athenaeum Theatre on October 13. Tickets are $39.50 and go on sale on June 19.
- If you’re looking for a band that is heavily influenced by obscure ’70s hard rock, check out Black Mountain with special guests Dommengang and Majeure at Ace of Cups on September 27. Tickets are $18 and go on sale on June 19.
- Shaed – who headlined the Steadfast Festival in March and is responsible for the catchy earworm “Trampoline” – returns to Columbus to perform at the A&R Music Bar on October 13. Tickets are $15 and go on sale on June 21.
- Frankie Cosmos will be at Ace of Cups on September 25 to support Close it Quietly (SubPop) due out on September 6. Tickets are $17 and go on sale on June 21.
- I reviewed Volcano’s The Island (Tee Pee Records) for The Big Takeover magazine and compared it to early Santana and Parliament Funkadelic. It’s a groovy, funktastic jam album and I imagine the band’s show at Ace of Cups on July 8 will be literally – and figuratively – smokin’. Tickets are $10 and on sale now.