Record Store Day 2015 is upon us, and there will be over 400 new and special releases Saturday, April 18th. Record Store Day has become a holiday for stores and shoppers alike. Some stores placing huge orders, which can mean a great profit, but also a big risk.
Columbus has a number of great stores and they will be pulling out all the stops. I have been updating events on a Facebook Page, but wanted to do a more comprehensive post for readers of Columbus Calling.
The interesting thing about Record Store Day is the stores may not even know what they are getting until a day or two before the event due to the limited run of the special items and no holds are allowed. Many stores will be having contests, bands, special sales, and even food trucks.
This guide will take you through the many events happening on Saturday.
With that we move on to stores participating in Record Store Day 2015 in Columbus Ohio. The following stores have put a lot of effort and time making this a special day for everyone. Most of the stores will have special hours , merchandise, sales and give aways. Here is the guide…. have fun.
- Magnolia Thunderpussy will be stocked with special releases and also be giving out a GA pass to Bonnarroo and Damien Rice.
- Lost Weekend is really gearing up for the big day. They will have plenty of special releases and have put together a great day. This is from the Facebook page “Record Store Day 2015 is coming soon. This year RSD is on Saturday April18th. As we do every year we will turn it into a four-day event with a SALE that starts on Friday April 17th and runs through Monday April 20th. On Saturday April 18th we will be putting out all the RSD exclusive titles. In addition, on Saturday we will have the Sticky Finger Foods food truck set up in the parking lot. alison rose will be set up in the lot doing screen printing while you wait – t-shirt and record tote bags. PromoWest Productions will also be on hand with cool stuff. We will have a FREE drawing you can enter all weekend with lots of great prizes including weekend passes for two to the Nelsonville Music Festival, tickets from Promowest, test pressing from Columbus Blood, Kizzy Hall and Psychic Wheels and other cool stuff. “ I would check the Facebook event page for any updates or changes.
- Elizabeth’s Records is not carrying any special releases, but that’s not stopping them from getting in on the action. Dave and Laura are pulling out all the stops. They have some awesome tote bags from Allison Rose, along with some special used records. According to the store’s Facebook page, “NO Official RSD titles! -Special Used finds!-NO LINEs but hopefully a crowd!-PRIZES / Giveaways / Treats / Coffee-4PM – THE WHITEOUTS (live outdoors in front of store!).-5PM – KIZZY HALL (albums available for purchase and signing!).
The WHITEOUTS will be promoting the Second COLUMBUS BLOOD Compilation. Kizzy Hall will be selling their debut LP at a sale price with all proceeds going to the band (this day only)!!!-25% off Used vinyl, 15% off new vinyl.And just up the street, Studio 35 Cinema & Drafthouse is showing ‘Records Collecting Dust” at 2pm if you need to take a mid-day break from the festivities!”
- Colleen’s Collectables will also be hosting their quarterly record show –Columbus Ohio Record, CD & Music Memorabilia Show. The show will hopefully have some Record Store Day Surprises.
- Spoonful Records is ready and from the stores’s Facebook Event Page, “Come to Spoonful Records for your Record Store Day fun! We will open at 8 am with TONS of exclusive vinyl RSD releases. We will be running our 20% OFF SALE on used records. PROMOWEST PRODUCTIONS FREE TICKETS will be given away to three lucky winners. A pair of each will be given away to Spoonful customers: Tame Impala 5/16 at the LC, Atmosphere 4/30 at the LC, & Mr. Gnome 5/23 at the Basement. Enter to win from 7 am to 11 am with the PromoWest interns. RSD SWAG BAGS will be given out until they run out (usually the first 100 people get one.) This year’s swag bags are laden with the usual music samplers, Audio-Technica ear buds and t-shirts, & CD102.5 stickers, pens & coupons, PromoWest sunglasses, & other cool stuff.DRAWINGS FOR: Framed Black Keys poster, Big Star posters, 2013 Nelsonville Festival Letterpress Poster. EXPLORER’S CLUB will be bringing the FOOD TRUCK starting at 6 am with a breakfast offering! ABNORMAL ALLIES will be pumping out the jams with the mobile DJ unit from 7 to 10 am, as well as pressing vintage logo Spoonful tees, and offering up their cool array of Columbus neighbourhood t-shirts. We will have two registers going again and lots of helpers. Shoppers are strongly encouraged to PLEASE PAY WITH CASH, which helps everyone get through the line faster. Please present your ID if you pay with credit card. Check Facebook the night before RSD; we usually post pictures of the layout of exclusive records so you can kind of get your bearings! Street parking is pretty ample around our store and free until 9am. The free lot is the gravel one we share with B1 Bikes. Restrooms: We will have two port-a-johns on Lazelle for the RSD event, for you crazy campers! Thanks for supporting your downtown Columbus record store and ALL the awesome little record stores in Columbus!!!!!!
- Used Kids Records 1980 N. HIGH ST will be celebrating their first Record Store Day under new owner Greg Hall. There will be plenty of new releases and bands playing on the stage until midnight. From the event page, “It’s that special day again for you to blow your wad on black plastic. Let us help you.Great deals on used stuff too.
Doors open at + + + 8AM + + + Bands 11am – 11pm. free pizza / beverages. Check the link for schedule as well as the store’s website.
- Records Per Minute -2579 N. High Street. RPM will be stocked with special releases for the day. There will also be a store wide sale going on. The store will be open at 8:00 AM. Check the Facebook Page for listings of new special releases as the arrive.
- Roots Record’s (1357 North High Street), our city’s reggae record store, will also be participating in the festivities. They will be open from 11:00 am to 7:00 pm and will have special releases as well.
- Strange Loop Records 1421 W 3rd Ave Columbus, OH 43212. Strange Loop one of the newer stores in town will be having an across the board sale (Excluding RSD releases). They will also be hosting a comedy night Friday and Saturday.
- Broken Records and Beehives 1517 Hess St Suite 100 Columbus, OH 43212. The store is ready for their second record store day. They will have bands and special releases. Check out the store for some great artwork and jewellery too. The line up is great and they will also be hosting a RDS after party at the tree bar, featuring Daymare, Eye, and Damn the Witch Siren. Stop by blow off some steam and enjoy the bands.
- Ace in the Hole Music Exchange. 1153 Kenny Centre Columbus, OH 43220. Mike will be ready with some special record store day releases. He has been stocking a lot of used vinyl and will be ready for the big day. The store will be open regular hours. 11:00AM- 6:00 PM.
- Endangered Species-The Last Record Store on Earth 11 W. Winter St. Delaware, Ohio. Last but not least stop in for some great new releases and tons of 45’s. The place to go for a nice ride or if you live out north. They will be opening at 10:00AM and like their Facebook event says. “The early bird gets the worm”
Record Store Day is getting bigger and better each year…. come out, pick up some cool special releases, enjoy the bands. Remember Record Store Day is every day, but this day is killer. Have fun. Be kind, and enjoy!!