I sorta don’t want to promote this show because Sunflower Bean’s the type of band I’ve developed a crush on and don’t want to share with anybody else. Understandably, this swing through Columbus finds the band playing the quaint and intimate Rumba Cafe and will more than likely be uncomfortably packed.
The success checklist is nearly all filled out for the trio:
- Brooklyn-based? Check.
- Previous road experience opening for hip band? Check (Diiv).
- “Band to Watch at SXSW” nominations? Check.
- Classic rock influence, early ’90s 120 Minutes vibe? Check.
- Respectable indie label distribution? Check (Fat Possum Records).
- Love from the UK press? Check.
- Inevitable backlash? Not yet.